One of my favorite things to do around the Craft and Hobby Association Trade Shows (otherwise known as CHA) is to scraplift the CHA layouts to see how I can accomplish the trendy new looks with my old scrapbooking supplies. It is a fun creative exercise, I encourage you to give it a try - not because you're never going to get the new items - but because I get all the excitement of the new stuff combined with using what I already have - I love feeling frugal - even if the amount of scrapbooking supplies I have would clearly state that my habit - um I mean hobby - is nothing but frugal!
My Page: Gamer / The Story: My son would play video games 24/7 if we let him and he got the WiiU for Christmas - so it was a bit hard to get his attention after he opened that present.
The inspiration? Maggie Holmes for Studio Calico for CHA W 2013.
What I lifted?
1. 3 columns of trendy stamped background on white cardstock.
2. A hodge podge of random embellishments.
3. Placement of photo and title and journaling.
What I changed?
1. I think hers was a one photo layout on a 12x12 page (probably to show off the products); I made an 8.5 x 11 page with two photos.
2. She had lots of different types of embellishments from papers and staples and brad and buttons - lots of dimentional items which look great; but I used just the patterned papers for a flatter scrapbook page (more for the way it will fit in an album than for visual interest).
3. Photography: Her layout looks like a professional photographer (which I think she is) took the photo while mine is a self shot with the point and shoot and a blurry detail shot. Sure, her layout is much more visually stunning, but my layout tells my real life story with a few shots that I took during Christmas Morning - not at all posed, just an "oh I should capture this" moment.