Ten Things is a blog series by Shimelle. I love this concept but don't always make it on the tenth - same deal with 12 photos on the 12th. I took some photos this morning so I thought I'd do my ten things today - that and TODAY is the last official weekday of summer in our house - SCHOOL starts on Monday!
1. iPHONE GENERATION: They used to complain that I was on the iPhone all the time - now they've joined me. Not sure how - or if - I'm going to solve this one. Mac is a big fan of Weird Al And Nyan Cat and Allison likes to make lemonade on the iphone - there's a game where you actually - ok, virtually, squeeze the lemons. That's all educational right?
2. PROOF OF SUMMER FUN: Still thinking about whether I am going to order this - it is seriously pricey - but it is PROOF that we DID HAVE FUN this summer! If you ask my kids they will assure you we didn't have any fun! Granted, I usually make a much bigger effort to do more fun things - but it was seriously lots easier to tell them to "get in the car - we're going on an adventure!" and bring them to the park when they were smaller - now they have a zillion questions about exactly what we'll be doing and they have their own agendas - and they don't let me be "cruise director" like they used to - I keep trying to tell them that they should trust me, that I know what I'm talking about and they will have fun - but they just aren't buying it; now they'd like to know if I could buy them something... maybe at Toys R Us... And seriously? I HATE - really HATE - bringing them to stores - they turn on their wild child act and I always end up spending more than I planned, so I just don't take them to stores anymore. Maybe that's not the best way to handle it, but, well, it is working - for me at least.
3. SCHOOL SHOPPING: It was the first year I didn't bring the kids school shopping! Instead, I took detailed inventories of their current clothes and MADE A LIST of what they needed and sent Charlie and Allison off to Target. He later told me they had to hit Walmart too and there was a giant crying meltdown in Target. Ahhhh, I think he was happy to take Allison and I was happy not to! Plus last time we put a Summer Olympics together with me taking the kids school shopping, we impulsively bought Chinese miniature hamsters - and, well, I didn't want to take any chances. Uniforms? Check! Hamsters? Thankfully NO!
4. MODEL BEHAVIOR: Allison put on this outfit recently and said this is her version of me - what I look like when I go to work! Not exactly and I wish I was that cute, but she did let me take some fun pictures - a rare treat for this scrapbooker mom.
5. TACO NIGHT: Mac loves meat and Allison is a vegetarian but somehow they both LOVE taco night! I don't often make the same meal twice but taco night is becoming a regular thing around here. (And "not wearing a shirt" has been a regular thing for Mac for the past couple of years - I am so not a fan - especially because it makes taking pictures of him difficult - but hey, it is summer and it is Florida, I let him run around the house without a shirt.)
6. SEAWALL FIREWORKS: We never used to, but doing our own fireworks on the seawall has become a bit of a tradition. I was happy to get a picture of this with the point and shoot and have it come out decent. We also spent some time a couple of nights ago watching shooting starts - some kind of meteor shower apparently - I didn't get any photos but imagine this flying by you in the sky - it was pretty spectacular - Mac and Charlie and I laid in the dark on the dock and watched the show in the sky.
7. PICTURE TAKING: I've been a bit lazy with my picture taking lately and I haven't been printing on a regular basis but I have been scrapbooking a lot; I'm getting to where I want to have better photos and more current photos for my scrapbooking, so I'm recommitting myself to taking photos everyday and maybe trying, just a little, to make the photos better. I took these this morning, its a start.
8. HEAVY. I was doing really well for a while there. I started at 180 in the summer of 2010. I got all the way down to, I think 159 or maybe 149, I can't remember. It is all a blur. Because after doing the Bikram Yoga Challenge in April - 30 days of hot yoga - I gained 10 pounds that month! TEN POUNDS! Anyway, I got completely discouraged and haven't been back to yoga and have only been getting on the stepper 2-3 times a week - on a good week. Losing weight and maintaing a healthy weight is HARD. And FRUSTRATING. So I'm back to about 173. YUCK. I feel like complete crap. I am disappointed with myself. I have been avoiding mirrors and the camera. But I'm back to being tired of that too - so I'm BACK to my Weight LOSS GOAL: I want to get to 130 pounds. I'm going to take it slow and just focus on losing the first 10 pounds right now. Back to the everyday stepper routine - which means you can catch me more often in the Pinterest and Two Peas Galleries - I Pin while I step.
9. CHARLIE. My husband is a saint. As much as I am a "fiercely independent" kind of girl, I really couldn't survive without him. I don't think I'd be able to use a phone, computer, or television without him; I'm also sure that I'd have a seriously hard time running the office and successfully getting the kids to school. I am completely dependent on this man. The man can fix anything, knows how stuff works, and thinks of things I never even thought. I know I don't tell him enough, but I'm thankful and lucky to have him as my husband. Here he is making p-touch labels - one of his very favorite things to do - and this time there was a really good reason - last weekend we had a giant malfunction at our house - a technical thing that would have been seriously expensive and difficult to fix, but he fixed it. And no, thankfully, neither me nor the kids caused the problem (this time), but we were super glad to have such a clever Daddy to fix everything. God Bless Charlie.
10. REFRESH. So I feel like I'm hitting my REFRESH button on at least my attitude about a bunch of things, I'm ready to recommit to losing weight, working hard and having more fun. This summer has been fun - but really? It probably could have been a bit funner - I have been "calling it in" a bit lately - especially in the fun department - and while I think its ok to take a breather - its also good to LOOK FORWARD AND GET BUSY which is exactly what I'm planning to do starting right NOW!